Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:11:18 +0200

Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:

> I am afraid in the final analysis, if dbus gets into every corner of
> emacs, that emacs will be inextricably tied to the desktop and will
> lose some of its utility on servers. That does not seem like a
> desirable outcome.

It's not that simple. D-Bus could also be used by Emacs offering
services to other applications.

Furthermore, the D-Bus autolaunch feature is active only when there is a
connection to X11 (ie $DISPLAY is set). That's not the case for many
servers.

But I confirm, that we must care about (too much) dependencies on D-Bus.

> - Harald

Best regards, Michael.