RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:23:28 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > When you look for the doc about a command (including `r-e-b'), why not have
 > immediately a set of links to its doc in the manuals (with the manual names
 > and
 > nodes in the links).

Well, isn't that basic functionality already available as
`Info-elisp-ref' (aka C-h C-f in my emacs)?  Again (in my emacs) when
I use C-h f to get the docstring (which defaults to using the symbol
at point already), point ends up on the name of the function in the
help buffer, so C-h C-f RET takes me to the manual.  Links are more
discoverable, I suppose, but they're also annoying because they're
always in your face.  They also require moving the mouse, which direct
invocation of Info-elisp-ref won't (because if you invoked
`describe-function' via the mouse, the pointer is most likely on the
function in the source buffer).

It's not clear to me that adding links to the original function's
documentation (as opposed to links to docs for other symbols that are
referenced in the help buffer) is doing anybody any favors.