Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 08:28:55 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> SM> 1- [org-mode source markup]'s ugly.
>
> I sort of agree, and like the JIRA {code:LANGUAGE} ... {code} markup
> better.  Visually they are very clean.
>
> SM> 2- it does make the code harder to read.
> SM> Separators like "---------------------" work much better in this
> SM> respect, because they don't contain words and so they're much more
> SM> easily abstracted away by your "eyes".
>
> The problem with those separators is just that they say nothing about
> the contents, so the presenter (MUA) has to guess the content type,
> which requires some parsing and can easily result in a wrong guess.

I'm usually able to infer the content type from the sender or mailing
list.  If it's on emacs-devel, it's most probably emacs lisp or C.

That said, I'm not annoyed by the org babel delimiters, but at the same
time, I don't see any benefit in them.  If Gnus would actually use the
explicitly stated language to fontify the snippet with the corresponding
emacs mode, that would be a big benefit.  That seems feasible, because
Org mode does so if `org-src-fontify-natively' is non-nil.

But as it is right now, it's just as fine as the usual:

foo = bar + baz

Bye,
Tassilo