Re: Version strings in lisp files?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Version strings in lisp files?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:07:41 +0530

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been working on the build system for org and these changes have
> just been merged into org.  As part of the cleanup I had removed all
> version strings in Git controlled files since they've mostly been a
> source for merge conflicts.  Instead, the build system auto-generates
> the version string into org-version.el (which is not committed into the
> repository), where it can easily be picked up via autoload.  Bastien
> (the org maintainer) tells me that Emacs requires a version string to be
> present in org.el, what's the rationale for that?  Since those files
> will have to transgress into Bzr it would be possible to alter the files
> before committing into Bzr, but that doesn't feel right...

[OT] But on a related note,

Org-mode version 7.8.09
                 ^^^^^^
Try the below form.

(version-list-= (version-to-list "7.8.09")
                (version-to-list "7.8.9"))

To a human, 7.8.09 != 7.8.9.  But to Emacs, they are just the same.

I wish Org used version strings, that are Emacs-compatible.  Just a
minor complaint.