Re: About write-contents-functions in pre-test 24.0.95.1

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: About write-contents-functions in pre-test 24.0.95.1
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:44:33 -0700

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Chming <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the following codes to untabify code in c mode.
>
> ;; Untabify when saving
> (defun ska-untabify ()
>  (save-excursion
>    (goto-char (point-min))
>    (when (search-forward "\t" nil t)
>      (untabify (1- (point)) (point-max)))
>    nil))

Why not just:

(defun ska-untabify ()
  (untabify (point-min) (point-max)))

?

As written it seems like it's trying to make sure it doesn't remove
any tabs that occur before the first tab, which is a little silly. ;-)

> (defun saving-untabify ()
>  (add-hook 'write-contents-functions 'ska-untabify nil t))
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'saving-untabify)
>
> Right now when I try this on the latest version, it looks like it will
> remove all tabs in makefile mode. My understanding is this func only
> works on cc-mode. Is that correct to use write-contents-functions in
> this way?

I think before-save-hook is a better place for functions like this.

-PJ

Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced.