Re: .info files

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:44:50 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We could use "makeinfo --no-split" for all the Info manuals (we do
> that for some now), and then the .info extension wouldn't be a problem
> for MS-DOS.

To me, it would make sense to ask when 24.1 is released if anyone is
still making serious use of it on MS-DOS, and if so to let emacs-devel
know. config.bat could even print such a question.

Though, this was done 4 years ago.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu-emacs/2007-11/msg00000.html

I don't know how many replied.

It's an impressive technical achievement to make a modern Emacs work on
MS-DOS, but if literally no-one is using it, it would be nice if the
consequences for the rest of us could be minimized. The one that crops
up most often is file names. Obviously it is not the end of the world,
but it is an annoyance not to be able to name things as one would want.
If Paul's idea for removing that issue works, I think you would hear
fewer gripes about MS-DOS.