Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 00:08:41 +0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Here is a problem the patch fixed, generally The pixel width of
>>> auto-matched CJK font is not exactly equals to double monospace font
>>> width. mostly, For same font size, the pixel width of CJK font is
>>> smaller than double pixel width of monospace font.
>>
>> Ah, I see, thanks.  I probably won't benefit much from it, but it seems
>> like a good feature to have.
>
> BTW, I hope there's a way to disable or tune this... Some CJK fonts seem
> to be very small (when rendered at the same size as other characters),
> and I think forcing them to be spaced with 2 * the width of the default
> font would make CJK characters look weird, with tons of whitespace in
> between each character....

Why would it look weird? Like the author said, the terminal has rendered
it that way for long.  Even on Mac, i find Terminal.app does the same
way.  And it is especially useful when i want to align a mix of ASCII
and CJK characters, which is an issue i know many CJK users had
complained.

I made a similar fix on Mac, it also works.  Very good!

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com