Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:39:40 -0400

On 4 April 2012 09:20, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I never understood why Emacs have not a developing branch to continue
>> developing new features during the feature freeze.
>
> This is because we do not believe we have the manpower to keep two
> active branches, and that most people would just keep on using the
> `trunk' rather than help debug the feature-frozen branch.
>
> Whether this belief is warranted, I do not know, sadly.
> I would be open to experiment with the alternative,

>From one gnu to another, I think you should experiment. In Octave,
during release time we merge dev to stable, everyone regularly builds
stable, RC tarballs get released, people build them and report them,
and eventually the grand stable release is made, which is still
maintained in a separate stable branch. Meanwhile, dev goes on its
merry way, reguarly getting merged from stable, and people who don't
care about release schedules keep playing in dev.

Octave has a much smaller dev community than Emacs, and it seems to work for us.

- Jordi G. H.