Re: Release branch plans

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Release branch plans
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:53:34 +0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> We have `emacs-23' already, so the next one should simply be
> `emacs-24' or `emacs-24.1'.

Just to clarify (after a quick off-list discussion with Stefan): his
first suggestion here refers to using `emacs-24' for the 24.1 release
branch now, and when the time comes to open the trunk for Emacs 25
development (post 24.2), copying the contents of the trunk into the
emacs-24 branch.

That is to say, from now to 24.1 release, use emacs-24 for the release
branch; after 24.1 release, 24.2 development takes place on trunk;
shortly before 24.2 release, copy trunk into emacs-24 branch, and open
trunk for Emacs 25 development.

I guess this makes sense in a "make only as many Savannah branches as we
need" way, but I don't know enough about usual bzr practices to know if
it's TRT.  Would the "copy everything over" step munge the history on
the emacs-24 branch?  Or is that not an issue?