Re: rfc2047-decode-region

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rfc2047-decode-region
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:32:56 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:48:44 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > This function accepts an optional ADDRESS-MIME argument, which is
>  > described in the doc string thusly:
>  >
>  >   If ADDRESS-MIME is non-nil, strip backslashes which precede characters
>  >   other than `"' and `\' in quoted strings.
>  >
>  > This gives absolutely no information about when to use this option and
>  > why.
>
> It's all in RFC 5322.  Doesn't everybody know that by heart? ;-)

I didn't find a place that would explain how to compute 5322 from
2047.

> I would assume that this argument should be non-nil when decoding a
> header field which is parsed into atoms, such as To or From.  Possibly
> this would apply to Message-ID and References as well (in messages
> conforming to RFC 5322 and maybe 2822, but in 822 References and
> In-Reply-To were just unstructured text).

Thanks.  I needed it to decode a region of the "rmail view buffer",
where we display a single message, which includes all the displayed
headers, including From, To, CC, Subject, etc.  So from your
explanations I understand that the ADDRESS-MIME argument can stay nil
in that case, correct?