Re: Power: blink-cursor-mode is a pig

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Power: blink-cursor-mode is a pig
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:47:19 +0900

On 2011/12/31, at 0:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What Daniel is trying to would be to make this timeout 100k sec
>> while there are no focused frames by suspending the timer for
>> blink-cursor-mode.
>
> And I'm saying we can do that on the C level, because that is the
> level where the timeout for `select' is computed.

I didn't say anything about a particular way of solving this
problem.  I just explained why turning off the timers avoid
wasting power because you said, "Turning off the timer does not
prevent the above-mentioned loop from running.  So how would this
avoid wasting power?"

BTW, stopping/suspending timers does not avoid Emacs to wake up
in a short period on some ports, depending on how its `select'
emulation is implemented.  At least, this applies to the NS port
because it does periodic polling inside its `select'
implementation when there are some subprocesses or network
connections.  The Mac port does not have this drawback.  I'm not
sure about the W32 port.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden