Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:32:19 +0900

>> Which is in your mind when you speak "low-level functionality in
>> Carbon", C APIs in general or the Carbon framework (i.e.,
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/)?  The latter does not
>> include Core Foundation, Core Graphics, Core Text, or Image I/O,
>> all of which are C APIs supported and legitimate even in iOS.

> I'll admit that my mac development experience ended about ten years
> ago, but my reading of the notes from then and now both suggest that
> Carbon is a Toolbox replacement/bridge tool, and that it is being
> phased out over time. I believe that your information is more
> up-to-date than mine, but my reading of the notes on Carbon seems to
> state clearly that the entire thing is deprecated and will
> eventually go away.  I trust you when you say that this is not a
> practical concern for the Mac port today. Do you believe that it is
> also not a practical concern for main-line Emacs over the next few
> years?

I don't think the above C APIs that are supported and legitimate even
in iOS will go away in the near future.  For the Carbon framework
(again, its non-GUI part), you can find about half of the bundled
applications in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion are using it.  You can list them
with:

  $ for f in /Applications/*.app /Applications/Utilities/*.app; do otool -L
"$f"/Contents/MacOS/* | grep -q Carbon && echo "$f"; done

Safari.app is not listed, but actually it uses the Carbon framework,
too.

  $ otool -L /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Safari.framework/Safari | grep
Carbon

So, it wouldn't go away too soon, either.  (Of course, I can't speak
for Apple, as I said in the post I referred to in the previous
message.)

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden