Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Annoyingly cautious make rules
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:55:35 -0800

On 12/02/11 19:42, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> date afterwards.  So either way, the maintainer-mode dependencies
>> do not help and are not needed.
>
> I don't think I can agree with this statement until it gets refined to
> more specific dependencies.

Here's the complete list of dependencies enabled by maintainer-mode:

  configure: configure.in aclocal.m4
  aclocal.m4: m4/gl-comp.m4
  lib/Makefile.in: aclocal.m4 lib/Makefile.am lib/gnulib.mk

autogen.sh runs autoreconf, which updates aclocal.m4,
configure, and lib/Makefile.in (in that order).  So,
after autogen.sh is run, the dependencies are already
satisfied, and "make" does not need them and they do
not help the build process.

The autogen/copy_autogen fallback also updates these three
files in the same order, so it works like autogen.sh in
this respect.