Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reviving Gnus after suspend/hibernation
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:13:04 -0400

>> The Linux kernel definitely does not (and barring a NAT router, or
>> a resume with a different IP, or attempted communication on the link
>> while you're sleeping, the TCP connection will be faithfully waiting
>> for us when we resume).
> The other end will close it after a timeout.  Usually 5 minutes.

I can assure you that I've seen TCP connections without any packet
exchanged for a lot more than 5 minutes.  And indeed most NAT routers
wait longer than 5 minutes before considering a TCP connection as dead.

The timeout you're talking about only exists if the connection uses the
`tcp keepalive' feature (and yes, we want to use the tcp keepalive on
those connections, and I added code for that).

> But this isn't the problem I've experienced with Gnus after
> suspend/resume.  Gnus apparently knows the socket is closed, as it
> very quickly reports the connection failure and starts working in
> offline mode.  What is missing is the ability to automatically reconnect
> and continue, without going back to the Groups buffer and pressing M-g
> (which inhibits the offline mode, as opposed to g, which doesn't).

That's another issue ... ah yes: bug#9244

        Stefan