Re: customization theme users/use-cases/info

From: joakim
Subject: Re: customization theme users/use-cases/info
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:42:52 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been trying to use the themes feature that's been in Emacs since
> v23.x, and I am finding it a little bit awkward... most of what's in
> Emacs is oriented around using the regular customization interface,
> which stomps on anything set up by a theme.  There isn't much
> information in the Emacs manual about how one might use themes, there's
> no information on EmacsWiki, and the facilities go un-mentioned in the
> Elisp manual.  I might expect to find information there about the theme
> data structure, for example.  Especially because of the silence of
> EmacsWiki (I think I made the one page that mentions themes there---no,
> color-theme is something different) it makes me wonder how the feature
> was designed, who's actually using it, and whether they're being
> well-served by it.
>
> Any information appreciated,

I'm using themes in my zen-mode.el package. I use it to create a
stackable set of features. Maybe it's easier with an example:

0:
1: A
2: A B
3: A B C

so; A B C are features. 0 1 2 3 are levels that you can switch between.

Customize makes this feature a bit problematic, as you have observed. It
happens frequently that a variable I want the theme to own winds up in
the default customize level instead. Then my entire stack fails, since
it means feature C winds up in level 0. I haven't delved much further. I
reported a bug at least.

--
Joakim Verona