Re: Some MacOSX build related questions

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Some MacOSX build related questions
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:50:26 +0200

19 okt 2011 kl. 13:29 skrev CHENG Gao:

> 1) In nextstep/README, it states MacOSX supported are 10.4 and up.
> I suppose this is official. (It must be)

I guess so.

> 2) Considering 1), some code that checks MAC_OS_X_VERSION > 1030 or <
> 1040  or even < 1020 seems not necessary anymore.

No, but nobody has taken the time to clean it up.

> 3) For same reason, is MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED >=
> MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4 check necessary anymore?

Same answer as above.

> 4) MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_x (3, 4, 5, 6 at present) are defined in nsterm.h
> and some other files. Is it necessary? Is it enough as nsgui.h does? (as
> below)
>
> ,----
> | #ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
> | #include <AvailabilityMacros.h>
> | #endif /* NS_IMPL_COCOA */
> `----

No, this is not enough.  For example, MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6 is not defined on
OSX 10.4, but we use it in the source, so we must define it if not defined.
The define for MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6 in nsterm.m is redundant though.

> 5) In nsimage.m, it has 'onTiger' check (defined in nsterm.h). If
> official support version is 10.4 (Tiger) and up, this seems not
> necessary anymore.

I guess it is not, if indeed that function is available in Tiger and onwards.
But it might also mean that it is only available in Tiger and not in later
versions.  I haven't checked.

        Jan D.