Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:17:09 +0200

> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:28:48 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:25, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Did you try the MinGW installer, here:
> >

> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20110802/mingw-get-inst-20110802.exe/download
> >

> Yes, that is the installer (and the version) I used to install my
> current MinGW environment.
>
> > I never tried it, but perhaps it also does a good job, and will give
> > you a working MinGW environment without MSYS.
>
> But the Emacs build process needs some utilities like "rm", "cp" or
> "make" that aren't part of MinGW but MSYS (the are in the
> "MinGW\msys\1.0\bin" directory).

Are you sure?  This page

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/make/

claims that "make" _is_ included.

"rm" and "cp" are part of Coreutils, a single package that you need to
download from GnuWin32 (it may require a few DLLs that are used by
Coreutils).

> Therefore, what I say is that it would be great if the version of
> "make" that comes with MSYS didn't have the problem I (and you) said,
> because then, we'd have a easy to use and monolithic environment to
> build Emacs on Windows.

The MSYS Make cannot not have this problem, because file-name
translation is at the core of MSYS operation.  Without it, most of
MSYS's raison d'etre is gone.