Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:25:46 +0200

> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:18:19 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> [c] This starts a make process.  Unfortunately, sometimes the process
> stops because it spawns a child "cmd.exe" session (I don't know why).

It's a problem with the MSYS Make and MSYS Bash.  They convert
command-line arguments of the form /x/foo/bar to x:/foo/bar.  This
fails miserably when the original command-line argument is not a file
name, e.g., when the Makefile invokes "cmd /c SOMETHING".  See
nt/INSTALL, which doesn't recommend MSYS for this very reason.

> IMO this is a pity, because msys is well integrated into the
> mingw-get package manager, and thus seems to be a better alternative.

Did you try the MinGW installer, here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20110802/mingw-get-inst-20110802.exe/download

I never tried it, but perhaps it also does a good job, and will give
you a working MinGW environment without MSYS.