Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:00:23 -0400

On Oct 6, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> And I pointed out that you couldn't actually infer the switch to the new
>> interface from the doc string of `gdb'.
>
> There's no requirement to infer the switch, because I just told about
> the switch myself.

I get it.  The random user won't (from the filename, or the doc string as it
was).

>> 1. The user doesn't care about how Emacs GDB and the underlying gdb
>> communicate, and how that changes between Emacs versions - nor should they
>> have to care.
>
> Users who don't care shouldn't override the Emacs defaults with an
> explicit GDB command line that is based on intimate details of how GUD
> invokes GDB.

Alright, now I understand where the confusion is coming from.

For me the default wasn't what showed up (and, in my minibuffer history, which
is persistent for me, I chose "--annotate <exec-name>").
Started with -Q, I get the correct default.  If the user doesn't have to figure
out the right command line arguments for gdb, I think the current solution will
work.