Re: OAuth2 implementation in Elisp

From: Vijay Lakshminarayanan
Subject: Re: OAuth2 implementation in Elisp
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:05:39 +0530

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Why can't Emacs pretend to be a Web application?  Is it somehow less
> capable than other web browsers?

I have some experience with OAuth 1.0 but from what I've seen OAuth 2.0
is similar, at least in this aspect.

There are two kinds of OAuth consumers -- desktop and web.  In the case
of a Web consumer, we provide the OAuth provider (Google, Twitter etc)
with a callback URL to redirect users to after authentication.  For
Emacs to behave as a web app, it must (a) run a web-server (b) be
accessible via the internet.  Satisfying these two conditions is
practically impossible for all Emacs users.

In another thread of discussion, it appears that people are discussing
whether it's possible to render the URL with the application code
/within/ Emacs.  This is a better goal, IMO.

--
Cheers
~vijay

Gnus should be more complicated.