Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:40:18 +0300

> Why should I delete the main frame when I still want to browse
> errors?

If a user (not you) accidentally deletes that frame,
then `display-buffer' should re-create it.

This is how it works for the HTML attribute `target'.
It specifies the name of a frame where a page is to be displayed.

target="_blank" opens a new frame with no name.
target="_self" reuses the current frame.
target="_parent" displays the page in the parent frame.
target="_top" is equivalent of `delete-other-windows'

By assigning a name to a frame via the name attribute, users can refer
to it as the "target" of links defined by other elements.

Complete documentation of Target semantics is in
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html

So after assigning a name to a Emacs frame/window it should be
possible to refer to it in the `display-buffer-alist' specification.
This could be implemented as a plist like `:target "name"'.
In case when a frame/window is not yet created, the specification
could also accept additional frame/window parameters (size etc.)