Re: Maintainer overview

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Maintainer overview
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 03:57:25 -0400

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:35:46 +0200
>
> > What about source files that are not packages, like code written in C,
> > or issues that are not confined to a single file/package?
>
> Perhaps "area" is a better concept than "package".  I mean, Ted and
> Juanma would probably appreciate being notified on gnutls issues, and
> you would like (or "like" :-)) to get bidi notifications.
>
> However, areas that are mostly covered by people who are participating
> actively on emacs-devel already don't really need to get these
> notifications, since we all read emacs-bugs already, don't we?  :-)
>
> So, while nice, it's probably more useful for packages maintained by
> people who don't read these lists regularly.

Maybe we should take a step back and talk about the goals of this
feature.  Is this just to be nice to those who don't read
bug-gnu-emacs and send them a notification?  Or do we want to make
sure every bug is assigned to some "victim"?  These are different
goals, and the solutions are likely to be different.