Re: machine specific patch (OpenBSD)

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: machine specific patch (OpenBSD)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:52:10 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/13/11 08:22, Manuel Giraud wrote:
>
>> Ok, so far I've updated those:
>
> <http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/editors/emacs23/patches/>
> doesn't seem to be updated; it was last changed 3 months ago.  Are the
> updated patches available anywhere other than in your email?

They are just in my email. The patches from the openbsd cvsweb are the
ones to make the last stable version of emacs (23.3) to work under
openbsd and make an installable package out of it.

I just like to have some stuff in the emacs repo in order to have emacs
24 eventually working "out of the box" on openbsd.

>> I didn't include others because they are related to mips64 and alpha
>> arch and i cannot test it.
>
> Has anyone tested them?

Not me, I don't have the hardware. jasper@ seems to have tested and
updated them.

> The two mips64 files seem long enough that they'll require copyright
> assignment papers.  Did you write them?  If not, who?

There is a FSF copyright, is it enough? I didn't write this file, it
seems to come frome here
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/editors/emacs21/patches/>
and is almost 6 years old.

>>> +#define BROKEN_SIGIO
>
> Could you please explain why that's needed?  Is there some discussion
> of this somewhere?  It'd be helpful to have that in a comment
> somewhere.

There was a discussion here:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=128932473227826&w=2

and a solution found by Mike Belopuhov, here:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=130019184729434&w=2

> Regarding the minibuf.c patch:
>
> Is a similar patch (for fgets) needed in xfaces.c's Fx_load_color_file
> function, for the case where Emacs is configured without HAVE_X_WINDOWS?
>
> The minibuf.c patch is a bit confusing, with gotos and suchlike.
> Does the following patch fix the problem as well?  It's a longer patch,
> but the resulting code should be more straightforward.

It works and I too prefer this one.

--
Manuel Giraud