Re: tramp does not work when using athena

From: Ralf Schmitt
Subject: Re: tramp does not work when using athena
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:31:32 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> are there any news on that front? I'm afraid I'm struggling with the
> same problem on GNU/Linux with a Lucid-build. While using 'sshx' works
> in principal, it fails to use a shared ssh connection, which is pretty
> important for me when using Tramp in eshell, otherwise it's just too
> slow. (Emacs/GTK works fine, though.)

I can give you some more details on the problem itself. tramp uses
start-process to execute a shell and wait for the initial prompt. But
the shell doesn't output one, since stdin is not connected to a tty (It
should be). I used the following short program:

,----[ isatty.c ]
| #include <stdio.h>
| #include <unistd.h>
|
| int main(int argc, char **argv)
| {
|     fprintf(stdout, isatty(1) ? "yes\n" : "no\n");
|     return 0;
| }
`----

Running the following command

,----
| [py27] [git:master+] ~/vendor/emacs/ % src/emacs -Q --execute '(progn
(start-process "test" "test" "/home/ralf/isatty")(switch-to-buffer "test"))'

| (process:18919): GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a
child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD
was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a bug in
the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status, or
don't set the SIGCHLD action.
| Warning: Cannot convert string "Inconsolata-11" to type FontStruct
`----

gives me a buffer with the string "no". The above warning message looks
like another problem.

I worked around the issue by configuring with
,----
`----

--
Cheers,