Re: Fwd: [emacs-w3m:11603] Re: interactive-p obsolete

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Fwd: [emacs-w3m:11603] Re: interactive-p obsolete
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 12:52:10 +1000

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm in favour of keeping interactive-p, resp. undoing that change.
>
> interactive-p is obsolete, which means you should move away from it
> (mostly because it needs an extra arg to know what you mean since
> it's been used with two different meanings).
> But interactive-p still works just as well in Emacs-24 as in previous
> Emacsen, and I'd be surprised if the same doesn't hold for Emacs-25
> (and probably 26 as well).

This is an important point. My interpretation of the obsolete warning
is a notice that you need to start planning to update, not hat you
have to do anything right now.

Although its not something I like to do, you can also turn the warning
for obsolete functions 'off'  I have sometimes done this in released
code as users sometimes get concerned when they see lots of warnings
when a package builds. In development code, I avoid disabling any
warnings as they do serve a purpose and I like to know about them all!

Tim