Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:22:23 +0200

> Since `make install' is run as root, it could look for a bounce
> message in root's local inbox too.

Or rather, is often (most of the time?) run as root.

Anyway, clearly this wouldn't be used for evil, but still I don't like
the idea of Emacs "reporting home"
when installed by sending mail. I like to think that programs I use
don't communicate over the net behind
my back, but only when I ask them to.

But install options that makes it possible for a root that installs
Emacs on a multi-user system to state
how mail is used there sounds like a good idea. No need for testing
then -- I think that roots that explicitly
choose to use these options should know what mail option is the
correct one for their system.

I guess then Emacs packages for most GNU distributions would use these
options, and then I guess
most Emacs users would use Emacses configured in such a way.