Re: text_property_stickiness() ignores `text-property-default-nonsticky'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: text_property_stickiness() ignores `text-property-default-nonsticky'
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:50:41 -0400

> The patch below would not work because it checks for nil in
> `text-property-default-nonsticky' instead of 't.

Yes, as you noticed, I caught it before committing.

> But your commit r104949 fixes the issue.  Thank you!  Will it get
> included in some bugfix emacs release anytime soon?  Or only Emacs24?

The next Emacs release should be 24.1 (there are no more planned 23.N).

> It seems that text_property_stickiness() or get_pos_property() or some
> other elisp interface to get "what inherited property value for PROP is
> at this POS" would be useful.  For example, `widget-field-activate'
> should work at the end of widget.  Currently, `widget-field-activate' is
> called at the end of widget, because keymap is rear-sticky but it does
> not call widget's action because `widget-field-at' does not respect
> stickiness.  What do you think?

At the C level, we have `get_pos_property' which returns the value of
a property at that position (i.e. between the char before the position
and the char after that position).  Note that since stickiness can vary
between properties, get_pos_property could still return a value
inconsistent with the keymap used.
But I guess we could export get_pos_property to Elisp.

        Stefan