Re: asking for advice for changing the cfengine.el progmode to support C

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: asking for advice for changing the cfengine.el progmode to support CFEngine 3.x
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:11:16 -0400

> As it is, except for highlighting string interpolation, it's great for
> everyday work.  So I want to know if there's any reason to pursue
> SMIE--what more can it do for this mode--and if there are any other
> comments on the code.  If not, I'll remove the unnecessary parts, commit
> it, and make a note in cfengine.el about the newer version.

I don't have time to look further into it.  The strength of SMIE is that
it structures the indentation code in a way that makes it fairly robust
(in terms of indentation when the style is unusual, such as newlines
placed at unexpected places) once it works and also that the most
difficult part is the parsing, but that this then can be used for more
than indentation (e.g. for structural navigation, for blink-matching,
hopefully in the future it will also be used for alignment (in the
sense of M-x align)).
But SMIE is far from perfect and is not meant to be "the one and only
way to do it", so if it doesn't work for you, don't use it.

        Stefan