Re: Idea for C-x v u

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Idea for C-x v u
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 01:55:05 +0200

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Why not a customize variable vc-show-diff-before-revert that takes
>>> values yes, no or ask?  Personally I'd set it to no.
>>
>> Really?  If you type `C-x v u' by mistake, you lose your changes with no
>> possibility of retrieval.  If there's anything that needs a yes-or-no
>> prompt, vc-revert is it.
>
> I have never hit C-x v u by mistake.

I have never hit C-x v u by mistake. Sometimes hitted them on the wrong
buffer, though.

[snip]

> Just because something may be lost
> doesn't mean we should add yes-or-no for them all.

AFAIK, yes-or-no exists precisely with the purpose of being more
cumbersome to answer than y-or-no, as a way of saying: "beware: possible
data loss!"

> What if there is important text in a temporary buffer?

That's your fault. As the name implies, temporary buffers are made for
throwing them away.

> Add yes-or-no for C-x k?

C-x k asks for confirmation with yes-or-no-p when the buffer has unsaved
changes.

[snip]