Re: clutter integration in the xwidget branch

From: chad
Subject: Re: clutter integration in the xwidget branch
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 02:45:46 -0700

On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:49 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

So here the question I wonder for days now and I need to ask out loud:

  Why not embed WebKit as a display engine?

It would probably be a large amount of difficult work.

Over the years, multiple groups have tried this approach using less
complicated versions of the web (pre-_javascript_, pre-css, pre-xhtml,
etc) and less complicated editing systems (more `notepad' than
`emacs'), and have fallen under their own weight.

I hate to be gloomy, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.  Someday,
another epoch or Gerd Moellmann-style effort will arise and implement
this idea or something like it, but, believe it or not, xembed is
probably an easier path.

Hope that helps,
*Chad