Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104691: Don't reuse previous Mes

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104691: Don't reuse previous Message-id when resending.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:31:32 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > You are wasting your time trying to argue from authority.

Please, stop using offensive language.  It clouds your mind. ;-)
"Authority" has no connection to this issue.

*None* of my arguments depend on "authority".  *You explicitly agreed
with the principal statement of the RFC* ("the sender's intention
rules").  How can there be any issue of "authority" when in fact we
agree on the right thing at that level?  The RFC does not go beyond
that (except to explicitly disclaim that analysis of content can be
sufficient to determine sender's intent).

The point is that, contrary to your claim, the behavior you installed
is *not* harmless, it does occasional, but specific, predictable, and
widespread, harm to the users of threading MUAs.  Stefan referred to
it, I've described it, Uday has described it.  It's real.  It is not
"dealt with reasonably" by existing MUAs, and cannot be.

OTOH, you have cited a past inconvenience involving only you and a
certain program, whose details you don't even remember.  I'm sure it
was a real issue, but hardly a justification for changing this default
IMO.

I think there is good reason here for you to reconsider.