Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 02:10:29 +0900

Julien Danjou writes:
 > On Mon, Jun 27 2011, Jason Rumney wrote:
 >
 > >> Another random idea: If that's the main problem, then if the gnu.org MTA
 > >> would open a listening port on port 587, and accept mail to gnu.org on
 > >> that port, then we could just have the bug reports use
 > >> `smtpmail-send-it' to eggs.gnu.org:587 directly...
 > >
 > > Why port 587?  Port 25 is the standard for incoming mail to the mail
 > > server's domain.
 >
 > Port 587 is for submission. But it's not meant for such a use, in
 > theory. :)

Actually, this clearly fails to conform to the RFC.  Authentication is
mandated because a submission agent must know the identity of
submitting entity, while the whole point of this discussion is (more
or less :-) that some users don't know their own identities.

An equally reliable way to handle this would be to format the message
using report-emacs-bug as usual, then ship it via HTTP/HTTPS post to a
CGI that mails it to the bug address.  Or use NNTP to inject it via,
say, Gmane.