Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Andrey Paramonov
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:25:49 +0400

> Yes, but like I said, we would then, in the future, be unable to
> change the default again, since all users would by then have a setting
> explicitly in .emacs.

Now send-mail-function can be one of mailclient-send-it, smtpmail-send-it, etc.

One way to keep the ability to change the defaults is to introduce special promptonce-send-it as another possible value for send-mail-function. It would prompt user for configuration once and store actual mail-sending function in separate customizable variable, i.e. promptonce-send-mail-function. This promptonce-send-it should be made the default value for send-mail-function. This way, users' .emacs will have customized promptonce-send-mail-function, but not send-mail-function.

Not sure it's worth the complication though, just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov