Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:07:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we need to consider 2 use cases here:
>
>  . using Emacs as MUA
>
>  . reporting a bug via "M-x report-emacs-bug"
>
> Both of these are important, but the considerations and the target
> audiences are different.

Good point.

I think the easiest way to handle the second case is to have a
submission server on the gnu.org machines.  The easiest way to do that
would be to just open up the gnu.org MTA on port 587, and point a CNAME
to it, like bug-submission.gnu.org, and have `M-x report-emacs-bug' try
that first.  (The MTA can, for instance, accept email to
address@hidden only.)

It'll work in most (almost all?) cases, and we can try to fall back on
mailclient/etc if it doesn't (if, for instance, the gnu.org MTA is down,
or no longer exists in the future).

This requires the support of the gnu.org mail admins, of course.  :-)