Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:10:08 +0100

On 26/06/11 14:08, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

What about if we default to `query-user', and then the first time you
use it, it'll ask "Use the built-in SMTP support, or use {the Windows
mailer,exim} to send the mail?", and then save the response.

Note my point elsemail is essenially that similar can apply to x11 desktop envs - i.e. the choice is between

(i) the desktop preferred mail client (implementable via the xdg-email command line command that exists to indirect to the user's preferred MUA i.e. thunderbird, kmail, etc), quite likely to be configured to send somewhere sensible (this is highly similar to the point Eli just made about how "At least on Windows, the system mailer (Outlook or whatever) is normally already configured,")

(ii) the local system's mail daemon (via the standard sendmail-compatible command line interface, as provided by exim, postfix, true sendmail, etc.), unfortunately nowadays often set up for local-only delivery if that.

(iii) builtin smtp.