Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:40:03 -0400

> It hasn't announced AUTH, so it's not tried.  And it's not offered AUTH
> because it hasn't switched on STARTTLS.  But it's clearly announcing
> STARTTLS, so it should be switching on STARTTLS.
>
> So what could me making it not trying STARTTLS?  Do you have neither
> compiled-in gnutls support nor gnutls-cli installed?

Ah yes, that was the problem.  I had inadvertently reconfigured without
gnutls support.  Rebuilding with gnutls solved the problem; thanks for
the pointer.  Probably smtpmail-send-it needs some code to handle that
failure case in a less cryptic way.

Also, I think `smtpmail-stream-type' should default to `starttls'.