Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:49:54 +0100

On 26/06/11 14:08, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

It's the same situation on Linux, really.  Today, if you want to send
email on Linux, you will have configured exim to do the right thing.
(Or it will be configured by somebody else for you.)

What? Hold on there. On fd.o desktop systems, one uses "xdg-email" to use the user's preferred email composer to pop up a mail ready for sending.

Some trouble(tm) arises if an advanced the user has actually gone and configured emacsclient as their preferred email composer.

Defaulting to `smtpmail-send-it' will make Emacs behave exactly like all
other mail clients: It'll ask you for the outgoing server name.

Pretty annoying as I'd have already configured that in my usual mail client that apps should be using, grr.