Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104668: Set :use-starttls-if-pos

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104668: Set :use-starttls-if-possible so that we always use STARTTLS if the server supports it.
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:18:58 +0200

Like I said before committing that code:

> So I'm wondering what's the best approach here.

> 1) `open-network-stream' can do opportunistic STARTTLS upgrades for all
> protocols, using the external STARTTLS support.  This will be slower,
> and may be more buggy.

> 2) I can add yet another parameter to `open-network-stream',
> :always-use-starttls-if-possible, and have smtpmail.el set it.  This
> will have least impact overall, but, like, adds yet another parameter,
> so it's kinda tacky.

> I think I'll do 2) for now to get things working, and we can reexamine
> this later.

Using the external STARTTLS will quite often work, unless your
gnutls-cli installation is broken.  (I.e., if you're using Windows, from
the error reports I've gotten.  :-)

However, using the external STARTTLS means first connecting to the
server, querying it for STARTTLS, dropping the connection, starting
gnutls-cli and connecting to the server again, which I think is slightly
uncouth.  Especially if we're doing it opportunistically for protocols
like NNTP, where STARTTLS really isn't what the user expects.  (I.e.,
it's nice if we can get it for free, but it's not really important if we
can't get it.)

So...  there we are.