Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:11:52 +0200

> I updated the bzr copy, rebuilt Emacs with it, launched Emacs with
> the -Q option, and saw the behavior unchanged.
>
> emacs -Q
> C-x 5 b *Messages* RET
> C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET
>  -> the file appears in the *other frame*.
>
> It might be right in a literal sense because the ~/.emacs file
> appears in the *other window* even if it is not in the frame in
> which the `C-x 4 f' command is invoked, and even if it is a major
> visible change of Emacs.  However, there is a case that violates
> that specification:
>
> emacs -Q
> C-x 5 2
> C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET
>  -> the file appears in the *other window* of the current frame.
>
> [...]

There was a remnant of my test settings in the default value of the
pop-up-frame specifier: I made any new frame created this way
unsplittable.  So this is part of the behavior you see.  Currently, I
can reproduce the "display on another frame" behavior iff I make the
selected window small enough and all other windows on this frame
unusable.  Please try once more.

> I tried this:
>
> emacs -Q
> (setcdr (cddr (assq 'reuse-window (car display-buffer-alist))) (list nil))

I didn't check this but it doesn't have any effect here.

> C-x 5 b *Messages* RET
> C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET
>
> The behavior unchanged, i.e., the file appears in the other frame.

If I prepend a (reuse-window nil nil nil) specifier to the first entry
in `display-buffer-alist' the selected window gets reused (with the old
unsplittable frame behavior).

martin