Re: dired "dwim" mode seems to fail now

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: dired "dwim" mode seems to fail now
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:00:19 +0200

>> Some time in the past few weeks, dired-dwim-target mode seems to have
>> forgotten how to work (it's not offering the directory of the other
>> buffer in the same window as a prefix).  I haven't had a chance to
>> narrow the commit down, but if that rings a bell for anyone, consider
>> this a nudge.
>
> I didn't look at commits, but it seems `dired-dwim-target-directory'
> calls `get-window-with-predicate' in such a way that the first window
> returned is possibly the current window itself. It seems the
> (unspecified?) order in which `get-window-with-predicate' tests windows
> may have changed.

That's been the case, indeed.  Thanks for catching this.  I've now tried
to restore the previous behavior.  Please try again.

> I think the solution is to exclude from consideration
> dired buffers that have the same current directory as the current
> window. This seems most consistent with the current (23.2) stable emacs.
>
> The real problem might be with window.el though. dired-aux.el hasn't
> changed recently.
>
> Patch:

I think installing your patch is a good idea anyway.  There's no good
reason to _not_ return the selected window as first window provided it
satisfies `get-window-with-predicate'.

Thanks again for finding this, martin

PS: I now also restored the old behavior of `get-buffer-window-list' so
it starts with the selected window.  As a consequence, windows on the
selected frame that come before the selected window will be listed after
windows on other frames.  But as the present example shows it's better
to remain compatible with Emacs 23.