Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:35:56 -0400

Your message is basically right, but one important point needs to be
corrected.

    >Thank you for the comments. Our apologies for not clearly
    >differentiating the two types of software. In analyzing the results
    >and reporting the data, we will make sure to take this into
    >account. For you information, we have sent the survey to other
    >projects that would fall into the category of Free Software.

    They are the same thing

As sets of software, free software and open source mostly overlap, but
they are not the same set.

Nearly all open source programs are free software, but exceptions
do exist, because some open source licenses do not qualify as free.

In addition, when an executable is locked down by hardware so that
users cannot install their own version, it is not free.  Thus, the
executable of Linux in most Android phones is not free, even though
its source code is free.  Open source does not concern itself with
this issue.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation