Re: taking over global key events (X, NS, W32)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: taking over global key events (X, NS, W32)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:34:59 -0500

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:22:46 +0200 Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm also interested in this for my Inkmacs project. The easiest way so
>> far was using the DBus bindings to catch the multimedia keys, which is a
>> bit limited. I also tried using the Gnome hotkeys to bind it to a
>> dispatcher, but that was so far not successful in Gnome 3 although it
>> used to sort of work in earlier Gnomes.

MD> If it turns out that it would be unsuitable to have Emacs listen
MD> "globally" like this,
MD> maybe a small program can be written to do the listening, sending dbus
commands
MD> that Emacs (or whoever else is listening) on the bus?

I would prefer a native interface, since there are other uses besides
mine.  For instance Emacs could have a global hide/show (HUD mode, like
Guake, yakuake, tilda, and other terminals provide) key.  It's best to
provide this inside Emacs itself IMO for the sake of all the potential
users, especially on the NS and W32 platforms.

Ted