Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:28:18 -0500

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:25:54 +0200 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> On Mon, Jun 06 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Under XMonad, that creates a strut panel but the panel won't take any
>> keyboard input, which is a problem.

JD> I think this is a XMonad bug. I'd suggest talking to them to figure out
JD> why they are refusing to give the focus to such a window.

I did.  They claim it's necessary because other panels have a heart
attack when they get the keyboard input focus.  So the solution is to
configure it at the user level, since they can't match dock rules to
Emacs frames in general (I've asked for more help but it doesn't seem to
be a priority to the XMonad developers, and I don't know Haskell enough
to do this myself).

So unless I get further help, I'll just document that XMonad is not
perfect for Emacs docked strut frames and I'll provide mouse bindings to
most of the things in such frames, including a binding to pop their
buffer up in a normal frame.

Ted