Turning on minor modes in File Variables

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Turning on minor modes in File Variables
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:06:04 +0200

Hello

There was a plan to make minor modes always turn on if invoked
interactively without prefix arg (Subject "turning on minor modes from
hooks", 2009 in emacs-devel).  What's the current state there?

I guess there wasn't any change, `define-minor-mode' in `easy-mmode.el'
in trunk looks unchanged.

I ask because if I want to turn on a mode automatically in a file, like
this:

;; Local Variables:
;; mode: TeX-PDF
;; End:

Then the mode will actually being turned off if it was already enabled
(in my example it is already enabled because I use
`TeX-global-PDF-mode').

I think that's not what the user expects.  At least, the Info pages in
my Emacs 23.3 (Customization > Variables > File Variables > Specifying
File Variables) say

   Some "variable names" have special meanings in a local variables
list:

   * `mode' enables the specified major or minor mode.

[...]

Michael.