Re: Recursive compilation?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Recursive compilation?
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:23:30 -0700

On 6/6/11 1:46 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>>>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/byte-code-cache.el
>>
>> That seems nice, but Stefan's simpler solution would do the trick for
>> me, and is something that I think Emacs should do by default.
>
> Maybe we could arrange things so that byte-code-cache gets included?

The problem is that byte-code-cache doesn't _quite_ work. Sure, it
handles simple cases well enough, but:

1) it deals with dependency cycles by just not compiling certain files;

2) it breaks inexplicably (i.e., I haven't analyzed it) with nxhtml; and

3) [this may be a spurious effect] code compiled using byte-code-cache
somehow seems slower than code compiled the conventional way. When I
looked at cc-mode, I noticed a slight performance hit. I'd have to look
at it again in more detail to see whether I actually found a problem.

Regardless, the mode is an ugly hack. It shadows LOAD and calls the byte
compiler in a way it was never meant to be called. If we're going to
implement a feature like this, we ought to do it right, and that means
making the compiler reentrant and adding the proper hooks to LOAD.