Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 22:56:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The idea is that <left> moves forward when the paragraph direction is
> L2R, and <right> moves forward in R2L paragraphs.  But they both move
> in the reading (a.k.a. "logical") order, which in Emacs means in the
> direction of increasing character positions.  Moving in strict visual
> order (i.e. always left or right on the screen) is also possible, but
> less desirable, because that's not the order in which people read the
> text.

Left/Right are for positioning the cursor.  They have nothing to do with
the order people read the text in.  I don't want my mouse to change
direction on RL text.

> But what you suggest is neither visual nor logical order,

Huh?  I suggest visual order.  Period.

> so it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

I have no idea what you are imagining here.

> I, for one, have trouble predicting where I will wind up, and need to
> think carefully before I give the right answer.  That's not a good UI,
> IMO.

Press left, end up at the next position to the left.  Press right, end
up at the next position to the right.  No need to even recognize whether
the glyphs at question are R2L or L2R: the effect is immediately
obvious.  Without thinking, without even knowing anything about the
R2L/L2R properties of the glyphs.  forward-character and
backward-character require more thinking.

--
David Kastrup