Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 11:24:48 +0200

On Thu, Jun 02 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> I always thought frame decorations came from the window manager; is
> there a way to tell it "I draw my own title bar"?  I think Google Chrome
> does that.  If there's a frame property we can add at the C level to
> hint this, it would make emacs-panel popups better and probably be nice
> for Emacs in general.

What you may want ultimately, is to be able to set various window types¹
on an Emacs frame.

Setting an Emacs frame the type DOCK will allow it to be attracted to
one of the frame edge, directly by the window manager. Setting it the
STRUT parameter will allow to reserve some place in the screen.

I've started to work on that 6 months ago, my work is available in a
branch². I can't recall if it's working totally, but I remember it was
at least in a good way. However it might be a start.

¹  http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2551529

²
http://git.naquadah.org/?p=~jd/emacs.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jd/strut-dock

--