idn.el and confusables.txt (was: markchars.el 0.2.0 and idn.el)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: idn.el and confusables.txt (was: markchars.el 0.2.0 and idn.el)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:28:04 -0500

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:13:34 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

LB> 2011/4/26 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
>> idn.el depends on nXhtml:
>>
>> (require 'nxhtml-base)
>> (defvar uts39-datadir (expand-file-name "etc/uts39/" nxhtml-install-dir))

LB> Ah, I forgot that dependency. I will have a look at it. Do you have a
LB> better proposal for this?

I would look at the Unicode copyrights on confusables.txt and figure out
if they need to be considered.  Since Emacs already includes many
transformed Unicode files, I imagine it's OK, but don't know for sure.

Once we figure that out, I will bundle idn.el with the confusables.txt
and make it a tarball-style ELPA package.

IMHO idn.el and confusables.txt should go into the Emacs trunk so they
can generate first-class character properties for `C-u x ='.  Stefan,
Chong, what do you think?

Thanks
Ted