Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:56:27 -0300

>> Both characters display fine for me in urxvt and xterm, and even in
>> the linux console (displayed as up/down arrows instead of triangles)
>> on a Debian system. Just a data point.
> That's exactly the _only_ terminal encoding where these characters can

Still, that covers pretty much *all* terminals under GNU/Linux systems.
And IIUC the same holds for Mac OS X terminals, so the only significant
counter example is the Windows terminals (does putty support/encourage
utf-8?).
But your point still holds true: we want/need to properly handle the
case where the terminal cannot display those chars.  I think that
glyphless-char-display-control sounds like a good way to attack
the problem.

        Stefan