Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: Christoph
Subject: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:32:28 -0700

Hi,

There was a recent comment in another thread that the Python mode is currently poorly maintained, so I started looking into what the current state is and what it would take to improve it.

I noticed that the original author Dave Love has an updated version on his website, that, among other things, also supports Python 3. There is a note in the beginning of the file that this version is not covered by FSF copyright anymore. Can anybody (Dave?) shed some light on as to why there is such a big discrepancy between the Emacs version and Dave's version on his homepage?

Could we update the Emacs version with Dave's changes (if he agrees and the legal stuff is sorted out, of course)?

I would also like to volunteer to work on python.el by integrating Dave's changes, and work on other issues. For my own benefit, it would also be nice if it supported alternative implementations like IronPython, which right now it does not. There seems to be some support for Jython but just invoking the IronPython interpreter in Jython mode does not work and seems hokey, too.

Christoph